Friday, February 5, 2010

Backyard Evaporator 2010

This will be my second season at the fine craft of boiling down sap the backyard way. Started last year and found out just how satisfying and addicting making maple syrup can be. Being  outside for hours on end and tending a fire- two of my favorite activities.

My current work flow consists of boiling down the sap on a wood fired homemade cement block evaporator lined with firebrick. Followed by finishing off in a pot on a turkey fryer (propane) to have more exact control of the finished product. From there, I bring it inside on the stove to keep warm and bottle. Filtering along the way throughout the process ensures a beautiful clear and tasty product.

For the 2010 season, I plan on 30 -35 taps. I'll start tapping mid February.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers